Hope you’re having a great week! I’m happy to be a little more active on the blog. Last year, I published a list of podcasts as an alternative to music on the run. Since there have been so many good podcasts in my queue lately, I have been meaning to generate a new list. No matter what mood you’re in, there is a podcast for you!
Here are some podcasts – going beyond running & fitness this time — that I am currently obsessed with:
- Binge Mode: Game of Thrones: This hilarious podcast broadcasted by the Ringer is certainly binge-worthy. In fact, I am already mid-way through Season 2 after one week of listening- gotta get through the rest by July 17th! Hosts Mallory and Jason will keep you entertained with detailed recaps and discussions of every single GOT episode (i.e. – 60 episodes total through Season 6). I love all of the added history that the hosts bring from their knowledge of the books and their takes on all of the characters. It’s all very funny, very entertaining, and will distract you from any run.
- Extra Pack of Peanuts Travel Podcast: Wanderlusts have to check this one out! Hosted by husband and wife duo Travis and Heather, this podcast offers great travel stories, advice, and destination inspiration. The focus is travel on a budget, which is good for travel addicts like me! Hosts have positive attitudes and general laid back attitudes, and they often bring on guest speakers who have experienced many unique and interesting situations. Those with an insatiable travel bug be warned!
- The Runner’s World Show: Interviews on this podcast are interesting and provide helpful insights into all things running. I loved following editor in chief David Willey’s quest for a BQ- and could relate to his heartaches, struggles, ambitions, and ultimate joy. I especially enjoy the interviews with other runners and their stories as well as the more newsy running updates for the week. The podcast is going through some host changes, but I’m looking forward to hearing what’s next.
- My Favorite Murder: This crime-filled podcast is very unlike my usual repertoire, but I enjoy it. Hosts Karen and Georgia have great chemistry and their mostly unscripted episodes dive into the details of some of America’s most interesting (and grotesque- you’ve been warned!) crimes. The psychological and legal aspects of the murders are intriguing- and in between the witty banter, I often find myself reflecting on the different views of life.
- Ultramarathon News: This podcast makes my list for the second time around. Hosts Eric and Sara offer tremendous insight into the world of ultra running through their entertaining, informative interviews with elites and running mortals alike. I felt more prepared for my first ultra last weekend after having listened to countless hours of these two and their guest speakers. The achievements of many of the speakers are unparalleled given the distances and skills, but I find their stories fascinating and inspiring. Sarah and Eric make a grueling topic like ultra marathons enjoyable, and they will most definitely help you get through a long run.
What are YOUR favorite podcasts? Do you also listen to any of the above?
Do you prefer listening to podcasts, music, or neither while running?
What are you up to this weekend? I am seeing some friends and family for father’s day. Still in recovery from last weekend’s race, but looking what to schedule next on the calendar :)