My Top Boston Recommendations:
Favorite Boston Sites:
- Walk the freedom trail, link here: http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/
- Take a ferry out to Spectacle Island (this is only open from May-October!) for great views of Boston and the many harbor islands. On the off season, walk along the waterfront and watch the boats and explore the piers.
- Visit Boston’s favorite historic neighborhoods, including but not limited to: Beacon Hill, the North End, South End, and Back Bay (this neighborhood will be crowded on marathon Monday, as it’s the location of the finish line!)
- Go to a Red Sox game at Fenway Park. Current schedule here: http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/schedule/?c_id=bos
- Visit the Museum of Science, link here: http://www.mos.org/
- Visit the Museum of Fine Arts, link here: http://www.mfa.org/
Top running paths (for those not already running the marathon!):
- Charles River Loop/Esplanade. More info here: http://www.blisstonia.com/eolson/notes/bridgedistances.pdf
- Start at Boston Common/Public Garden and head west to Brookline and back (follow Commonwealth Ave to Beacon Street). Great tour of the Back Bay/Kenmore Square/Coolidge Corner Brookline areas.
- Castle Island loop in South Boston. Info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Island_(Massachusetts)
Restaurants/eats near finish line:
- Two brunch spots: Stephanie’s & Sonsie on Newbury (both for atmosphere even more than food, but food is usually great).
- Tied for quick food: Flour Bakery on Clarendon Street & Sweetgreen on Boylston (Sweetgreen is right at the finish line, so will be very crowded)
- Figs Pizza, Beacon Hill: (a little farther from finish line, but worth it for either pre- or post- race!)
- 75 Chestnut, Beacon Hill: cozy, cute, delicious food and generous pours
Bars near finish line:
- Lolita Cocina & Tequila Bar: spicy margaritas and upscale Mexican food sound amazing post-marathon
- The Salty Pig: fun, busy atmosphere with great drinks
- Back Bay Social Club: fun bar, may be very crowded on marathon Monday as it’s a few blocks from the finish line on Boylston Street
- Yvonne’s: a little farther from finish line, but great vibe, great drinks, interesting space.
Grocery Stores for last minute food items:
- Trader Joes on Boylston
- Shaws at the Prudential
- Whole Foods on Cambridge Street, Beacon Hill
Let me know if you have any questions or need other recommendations while visiting my favorite city in the world!